Image credit: Sadness of Gaia by Josephine Wall
“Could the story of Lover Earth be that new story for civilization? Returned from our journey of separation, we rejoin the tribe – the tribe of all life on Earth, the tribe of the living planet – and seek to contribute to the wellbeing of all. Initially, this contribution might be primarily to heal the damage wrought over the past centuries: to reverse climate change, rebuild the soil, heal the waters, green the deserts, and restore the forests. These are surely the first projects of the divine marriage between nature and a newly initiated humanity. Individuals who have already had an ecosexual awakening are creating the template for that marriage already.”
— Excerpt from Charles Eisenstein’s essay “The EcoSexual Awakening”
To read the full text, click here
The Ecosex Manifesto 1.0
Elizabeth Stephens & Annie Sprinkle
- WE ARE THE ECOSEXUALS. The Earth is our lover. We are madly, passionately and fiercely in love, and we are grateful for this relationship each and every day. In order to create a more mutual and sustainable relationship with the Earth, we collaborate with nature. We treat the Earth with kindness, respect, and affection.
- WE MAKE LOVE WITH THE EARTH. We are aquaphiles, teraphiles, pryofiles, and aerophiles. We shamelessly hug trees, massage the Earth with our feet, and talk erotically to plants. We are skinny dippers, sun worshippers, and stargazers. We caress rocks, are pleasured by waterfalls and admire the Earth’s curves often. We make love to the Earth through our senses. We celebrate our E-spots. We are very dirty.
- WE ARE A RAPIDLY GROWING COMMUNITY OF ECOSEXUALS. This community includes artists, academics, sex-workers, sexologists, healers, environmental activists, nature fetishists, gardeners, business people, therapists, lawyers, peace activists, eco-feminists, scientists, educators (r)evolutionaries, critters and other entities from diverse walks of life. Some of us are sexecologists, researching the areas where sexology and ecology intersect in our culture. As consumers we aim to buy less. When we must, we buy green, organic and local. Whether on farms, at sea, in the woods, or in small towns or large cities, we connect and empathize with nature.
- WE ARE ECOSEX ACTIVISTS. We will save the mountains, waters and skies by any means necessary, especially through love, joy, and our powers of seduction. We will stop the rape, abuse, and poisoning of the Earth. We do not condone the use of violence, although we understand that some ecosexuals may choose to fight those most guilty for destroying the Earth with public disobedience, anarchist and radical environmental activist strategies. We embrace the revolutionary tactics of art, music, poetry, humour, and sex. We work and play tirelessly for Earth justice and global peace. Bombs hurt.
- ECOSEXUAL IS AN IDENTITY. For some of us being ecosexual is our primary (sexual) identity, whereas for others it is not. Ecosexuals can be GLBTQI, heterosexual, asexual, and/or Other. We invite and encourage ecosexuals to come out. We are everywhere. We are polymorphous and pollen-amorous. We educate people about ecosex culture, community and practices. We hold these truths to be self evident: that we are all part of, not separate from, nature. Thus all sex is ecosex.
- THE ECOSEX PLEDGE. I promise to love, honour, and cherish you Earth, until death brings us closer together forever.
VIVA LA ECOSEX REVOLUCION! JOIN US.
(First published in June 2011. http://sexecology.org/research-writing/ecosex-manifesto)